MOVE THE BARRIERS: PRAY FEREVENTLY AND FREQUENTLY
by Rev. Dr. Ken A. Ramsey
We are called in our prayer lives to pray fervently and without ceasing. One focus of prayer is to pray for the strongholds that hold people captive to be taken away and for the strongholds of God’s love and power to become more and more evident. As you focus your prayers consider this list of “strongholds” and pray for “freedom from” the first list and “freedom for” the second list of Divine Strongholds. Jesus said, “Have no fear, for greater is He that is in you, than he who is in the world.”
(From Terry Teykl’s book Divine Strongholds):
SIX CARNAL STRONGHOLDS
- Religion: A system of beliefs fueled by a legalistic spirit that elevates rules and traditions and is void of the Presence of God.
- Pride: A mental attitude that believes we must help God and work to protect the idols that represent our achievements.
- Sedition: A spirit of rebellion that is always right and quick to find fault in order to gain control, even at the expense of uncovering a fellow believer’s weakness.
- Parochialism: A belief system that promotes an elite inclusiveness that divides and isolates believers into camps for the sake of self preservation.
- Judgment: A self righteous spirit that yields a mental fortress of judgments which exclude non-believers as unfit for any association.
- Fear: A poverty spirit that believes God is only able to provide in certain circumstances. We need control to protect the status quo and our idols.
Prayer: Lord God, so many things in this world and in our culture seek to distract us from You. Remove from my heart and from the life of the church any of these strongholds which seek to divide, hurt, harm, and confuse Your people and our world. Keep us within the strength of Your way and Your will. Give us eyes to see and hearts to receive the presence of Your Spirit, that all things which attempt to hold us captive would dissolve in the power of Your mighty grace. Hear us in Your mercy and for the sake of Your Son our Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.
SIX DIVINE STRONGHOLDS
- Passion: Everything bows in worship to the Most High God.
- Humility: Humility is the act of submitting to Jesus’ control over us and identifying with His servanthood.
- Honor: To honor Jesus we esteem our fellow believers and protect their weakness.
- Unity: Unity is a corporate mindset that desires to complete others and abhors competition in the body of Christ.
- Grace: Grace welcomes all into the place where they are free to accept or reject unconditional love.
- Hope: Hope is a mindset that overcomes difficult situations with a belief in the goodness of our God. Fueled by His power it offers creative solutions and encouragement.
Blessed God and Gracious Lord, we praise Your Holy Name, and give glory to Your Son , Jesus Christ. We praise You for the storehouse of power promised to all who seek You. Lord, make these divine strongholds prevalent in my life and in the life of the church. By the Holy Spirit, come and plant within me and within all believers the true desire to serve you and to open ourselves to Your leadership and direction. As I say these words, O God, bring the power of them to bear upon my life: Passion; Humility; Honor; Unity; Grace; Hope. I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.