by Rev. Dr. Ken A. Ramsey
The “You Drive, I’ll Pray” Guide to Active Prayer
- BUILD THE FOUNDATION:
The foundation for this approach depends on people dedicating themselves to prayer and encountering communion with God at depths they may have never experienced. Cultivate continually the practice of fervent prayer.
- ON THE WAY TO CHURCH PRAY:
- for the houses and residents you pass
- for the Lord to truly be present in worship.
- for the safety of others who are on the way.
- that an unchurched person will be in attendance.
- AS YOU ARRIVE AT THE CHURCH PRAY:
- for your church to be surrendered to God’s will.
- for all who attend to have a desire to hear from God.
- as you look at the name of your church, that the Name would be lifted up.
- AS YOU PASS THROUGH THE DOORS PRAY:
- that God will open the doors of people’s hearts.
- that the Lord would truly enter this space.
- AS YOU WALK INTO THE WORSHIP SPACE:
- walk around and touch the pews, silently asking for God’s blessing on all.
- picture particular people and pray for them.
- pray especially for pews that are normally empty, that God would fill them.
- touch the pulpit, the choir area, and any instruments praying for these persons.
- kneel or stand at the altar and pray for new commitments to Christ.
- Gaze on the cross, remember His Love, and pray this Love would lead.
- Take your seat and pray for all who are arriving and expect God to speak.
- AS YOU WORSHIP: PRAY FOR EACH PERSON AND PART OF THE SERVICE.7. AS YOU LEAVE:
- give thanks for the honor of worshipping God.
- pray for an opportunity to share the Good News with another.
- pray that God would drive away any barrier hindering the Body of Christ.
- pray for direction and guidance in the week ahead.